HTML HEROES – An Introduction to the Internet
- English, Irish
- Age range:
- 8-10 years of age
- Resouce type:
- Operating system:
- Not applicable
- Main topic of the resource:
- Everyday life and leisure, Media, Other
- Main function of the resource:
- Acquire and retain life skills, Build up positive relationships with their family and friends, Encourage their sense of self, community and place, Enhance their participation in society, Have fun and enjoy themselves, Learn and develop, Produce and distribute their own positive online content
- Checklist criteria met:
- Age range and objectives, Stimulating experiences, Usability, Accessibility/inclusivity, Reliability, Safety, Privacy, Social media elements
- Webwise, Irish Internet Safety Awareness Centre
Read more on https://www.webwise.ie/html-heroes/
The HTML Heroes education programme is developed to assist and support educators when teaching students about the safe and responsible uses of the internet. HTML Heroes is available in English and is suitable for children between the ages of 7 and 10.
The resource covers a range of key digital media literacy skills such as effective and safe searching, determining what online content can be trusted, and managing time online and communicating effectively online. It also deals with issues relating to sharing personal information online, treating others with respect, and gaming online.
The HTML Heroes programme introduces children to the HTML Heroes – two USB characters (Archie and Ruby) who come to life when the classroom empties at break-time and introduce students to the online world. Archie and Ruby perform catchy and fun internet safety raps about online advertising, screen time, cyberbullying and how the internet works.
The HTML Heroes programme utilises a range of teaching methodologies with emphasis on the key methodology of the SPHE curriculum; active learning. The methodologies include discussion, circle work, pair and group work, responding to the media, in particular digital media. It integrates other curriculum subjects such as drama, language and visual arts methodologies. This programme is made up of paper-based classroom activities and digital interactive lessons. The interactive lessons contain much of the exposition and key learning points. These lessons are designed to be used as a whole-class activity using a white board or digital projector. The activities may also be set up for a pair, an individual, or a small group to use at a classroom computer/device.
- Lesson 1 // Welcome to the internet!
- Lesson 2 // Searching the internet
- Lesson 3 // What can I trust online?
- Lesson 4 // Webwise quiz
- Lesson 5 // Privacy and personal information
- Lesson 6 // Respectful online communication
- Lesson 7 // Anonymous online
- Lesson 8 // Chatwise quiz